Saturday, April 26, 2014

A Flimsy, A WIP and a Find

I finished making the last 8 blocks needed for my Plaid Jacob's Ladder.  Then I got all the blocks sewn into rows and had time to sew the top together.



I really like the way this turned out.  It will get quilted next month and is going to be a Christmas present.


Now for my WIP...back in 2013 Lori from Humble Quilts and Randy from Barristers Block had a QAL.  I got it done up to the appliqued border.


I finished the appliqued vine and yesterday I basted the applique pieces to the bottom of the quilt.  I made the date 2014 since this is the year it will be finished.  

Now for my find.


While scrounging around some boxes in the basement I came across these blocks.  Back in 1999 I took a class with Trudie Hughes.  These are the blocks I made.  Unfortunately I can't find any of the fabric I used for the stars and only a little of the fabric from the logs.  So instead of a large quilt I will have a table runner.  I think I want to try a large quilt with different fabrics.


As I told you in a previous post I finally made it up north to visit my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter.  It was a good visit but....I was sick all the way up, my husband was sick the next day, my granddaughter broke her arm the day we went up and she was sick the day after my husband and the day we left my son was sick.

We did have a day that Terry and I got to go out and do a little sight seeing. When we got up north they had 3 feet of snow.  Luckily the weather was warm and they lost a good majority of it.  Lake Superior had a lot of ice with pockets of open water.  These are pictures taken at a little park by the bay.


These little islands are a favorite spot for NMU college students to swim out too and paint their graduation name on.





Here is the Marquette Light House out on the point.

The sun is shining today and I think we are going to go to Metro Park for a walk.  Sammie too.

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.  Thanks for stopping by.

Hugs, Cathy

10 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Congrats on your beautiful Jacob's Ladder flimsy finish! It's gorgeous!

So sorry to hear that some bug ran thru your family... that's a bummer! Hope you all are well now.

Those are great photos of the lake... I was thinking that I wouldn't be swimming thru no ice to paint my name any rock... but I assume the ice will have melted by then, yes?

Happy sewing!


Ray said...

Love your work! I especially love the found blocks!

Radka said...

I like your applique block :-)
x

Sharon said...

You've got some great eye candy in this post! Congrats on your Jacob's Ladder finish - it's beautiful! And your log cabin star blocks are wonderful. Those look like a fun project. Isn't it fun when we find an old project that gets us excited all over again?

Karen said...

I like all those plaids in the Jacobs Ladder blocks. A nice block design to use them for.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I'm collecting plaids as I want to make a quilt with plaids ... your Jacobs Ladder is fueling my desire. It's fabulous. As is the QAL ... are you going to applique flowers all around the vine? And as a fan of the log cabin, I love your found blocks. I can't wait to see the large quilt.

Cheryl said...

The plaid Jacob's ladder is wonderful! So is your QAL quilt. Feels good to finish things up.

Kyle said...

Your Jacob's Ladder is great. Love the fabrics. You've had a productive sewing time. I've never been to the UP, so I love seeing your photos. Hope spring comes their way soon. It' way too cold there for me!

libbyquilter said...

i really enjoy plaids too and the Jacob's ladder turned out great.

doesn't it feel good to finish up those projects that only need a little bit of work and ta-da~! their done~?!!

the blocks with the stars in log cabins look fun . . . another finish coming right up, i bet.

sorry to read that your trip could have gone better . . . hope everyone is feeling well now.

:-)
libbyQ

Carrie P. said...

love your jacob's ladder top.
Too bad you all got sick. No fun! Wow! can't believe you are still seeing ice out there on the lake.