Sunday, April 22, 2012

In Just One Week.....

We've had 80 degree weather, 32 degree weather, a quilt show, a walk, and health issues.

First the Quilt Show.  A week ago, my husband and I went to the Oakland County Quilt Guild Quilt Show.  This show is special to me.  I used to be a member of the guild and I got my first 1st place ribbon at this NQA show.  Here are some of the quilts I saw.















It was a really nice show.  And they had tons of vendors...I did shop a little.  It was nice to run into some old friends too.

We went for a walk to Lake St. Clair Metro Park (formerly Metro Beach Metro Park) and it was beautiful out.  I made sure I took my camera hoping to see some wild life.  And I did.  The temperature was around 80.


These 2 Terns were flirting quite a bit.  We had to turn away at one point....lol


We saw so many swans.  There was a flock of 10 swans that flew over us.  Not sure where they were headed.




My first site of baby geese for the season.  They were quite small and as you can see the parents were very protective.

We went walking yesterday and it was only 32 degrees out.  I swear I saw snow flakes.  It must have been dog walking day.  There had to be about 80 dogs there.

Now for the health issues.  I've had Type 2 diabetes for years.  Tuesday I went to the Doctor's for my regular check up and my blood tests showed that my diabetes is out of control.  I am now on a new additional medication (which is playing havoc with my system) and I will need to start on insulin.  But thank goodness it will be a pen.  She said I could possibly get of insulin and some of my medication if I loose some weight.  That's not an easy task with diabetes and thyroid problems. 

So she suggested that I join weight watchers online.  I did.  From counting points I realized that I was eating too much and all the wrong foods.  I weigh myself Wednesday morning to see how much weight I have lost during this first week.   I will keep you informed on how I am doing.

Woo hoo....I finally finished my Scrap Squad Quilt.  I have to do my write up on the process for Quiltmaker's Blog and take a picture of my quilt.  I'll let you know when it will be posted on their blog.  Already got the pattern for the next quilt.  Trying to think up some ideas for it.

Well this has been a lengthy post and lots of photos.  I hope you enjoyed then and thanks for stopping by.

Hugs, Cathy 

12 comments:

Carrie P. said...

Well, I really hope that you can get your diabetes in control. Good luck with the weight watchers. It is amazing how our diets can effects so many things that have to do with our health. Great quilts in the show. Thanks for sharing all those great photos.

Allie said...

Those quilts are gorgeous! A good reminder for me to never join a guild, I'd be intimidated right out of quilting, lol. I'm sorry to hear that about your diabetes...my mum has been trying to get hers under control, she walks 30-60 minutes every day on the treadmill, but eats all the wrong things. I wish you better luck!
Your pics from the park are wonderful!

Impera Magna said...

What lovely quilts... and what beautiful photos of the various birds you saw on your walk! Thanks for sharing them with us...

I'm sorry to hear about the diabetes issues... and hope you can get it under control. Remember: old age ain't for sissies! Hang tough, friend!

Anne said...

Hope you get the diabetes issues sorted. Not fun, but all that hard work will be worth it in the end. Beautiful pictures - I love the change of seasons here. :0)

MB in MI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MB in MI said...

The show was wonderful, so glad you enjoyed it. And the day at the park looked like fun.

Joanne said...

The quilt show pictures are lovely - people are so talented! Thanks for sharing.
I wish you all the best with your weight loss, and getting your diabetes under control.

Doniene said...

Oh Cathy, the quilts are fabulous! The photos were great, but I'm sure it was amazing to see them in person. Isn't the weather something!!

I'll be praying for your health!

Blessings

Maureen said...

Thanks for the quilt show - fabulous!
Good luck with Weight Watchers. I know a few people who've found it very helpful.

Bonnie said...

So many wonderful things to look at on your blog today. Love the quilts in the show. I'm about to go up to Md to my guild's show... hopefully I'll see as many wonderful ones as you did!

Karen said...

I think the basket quilt is special. I could see myself making something similar.

Mama Pea said...

The show looks like a good one. As I said on FB, sorry for the health issues. Sounds like you are doing great with WW, though. Keep up the great work. It's hard, I know!