Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I've Been Thinking....

What inspires me in my quilting.  The answer: YOU.  I have had so much fun in blogland and have made so many wonderful friends.  You have all inspired me to try different techniques and just let myself go.  For this I thank you all.

Now for some quilty pictures.


The latest Barbara Brackman CW block.  It is hard to tell from the picture but the stripe in the center pinwheel is blue and white and the stripe in the outer star is red and white.  Can't wait to see what block Saturday brings.


I'm still working on the Primitive Primer quilt.  And having a ball.  The tree block on the right is finished and the on the left needs 2 more triangles.  What I really like about this quilt is that everything does not have to be perfect.  So I can relax while I work on it.


After the trees comes this block.  I have it all basted down and ready to go.  There are three more blocks after these and they are a tad bit more involved.  A house and tree block, a vase of flowers, and the hardest block.....Star Burst.  Oh I almost forgot...the border.  Part of which has applique on it.  Can't wait to finish.

In my last post I told you I had finally found the Lil Twister ruler. 


I gathered up 9 5" squares (I have bags and bags full of them) that I thought might go together.  And cut up some 3" strips of a dark brown for a border.  I could not believe how quickly this went together.  Within a half hour to 45 minutes I had this little top.  So much fun.

Now I have some questions for you:
  1. What inspires you in your quilting? (I told you what inspires me above)
  2. What was the first quilt you ever made?  A doll quilt for my daughter Kelley.
  3. What is the smallest quilt you ever made?  5" x 7"
  4. What is the largest quilt you ever made?  King Size.
Well I hope you have a quilty day.  The sun is shining, there is a slight breeze and the temp is around 73.  All in all a perfect day.  Going for a walk and then off to the sewing room.

Hugs, Cat

8 comments:

Miki Willa said...

I love the twister quilt. What inspires me to quilt is color and fabric. The first quilt I made was a baby quilt for a friend many years ago. It had butterflies. The smallest quilt I every made was a 5" x 7" bow tie quilt for a doll house bed. The largest quilt I have made is 72" x 72". That is about as large as my quilt frame will handle. Have a joyful day.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yeah trees and pumpkins! I have that little twister. isn't it fun!

Yvette said...

That Primitive Primer quilt is intriguing me. I am afraid to look it up. I can't believe you matched all those stripes. Great job!

I have to say that blogland also inspires me in my quilting. I wouldn't be doing all that I am if it wasn't for the inspiration and talent of other bloggers,

My first quilt was a log cabin. I learned how from a book on my dining room table. I didn't even know how to do a 1/4" seam. I don't even think I squared up my blocks, I just put them together. It is still one of my favorite quilts.

I think the smallest quilt was a wall hanging. 6 x 12 I think it was.

The largest quilt was 120x120. NEVER AGAIN. LOL!!!

Betty Lou said...

Have thought about trying Lil'Twister-------does it waste much fabric? Love yours, how big is it? Your Barbara Fritchie looks very patriotic, very 4th of July. I still have three more to finish before Saturday.

Maureen said...

Your little twister is cute - haven't seen it done in browns.
I think blogs and going to quilt guild meetings inspire me the most. Also looking through my books and fabric stash.
My first quilt was a baby quilt for my oldest child. It fell apart after a few washes. I clearly didn't know what I was doing!
Smallest was an autumn wallhanging - 18" square.
Largest was just about queen size.
We are getting a little relief from the humidity here. It's 85 and breezy. We do need rain though.

libbyquilter said...

that Lil Twister quilt is very very cute and now i'm going to have to look for one of the rulers i think . . .

i'm inspired by great blogs.
my first quilt was very large (don't remember the size exactly) and i sewed approximately ten inch mostly cotton solid colored blocks together in various blues and creams, double batted it with very thick batting and then decided to put a denim backing on it ~!!!!!!!!!!!!!~ needless to say i had no choice but to tye it.
i was still in high school and largely self taught. i still have the quilt (in storage). it's not used becuase it's virtually impossible to wash in a normal size washing machine.
so that takes care of my first quilt and my larges quilt.

the smallest quilt i've ever made is about three inches by four inches. a tiny goose chase that i did as an experiment in true miniature piecing. probably won't be doing that again either~!

:-)
libbyQ

Lori said...

Antique quilts inspire me.
The largest quilt was done recently and it was Roll Roll cotton boll by Bonnie Hunter.

I love your projects.

Allie said...

LOVE your blocks! Those trees look fun, I like making quilts that don't need to be precise. What inspires me is definitely all my blog readers - I don't think I'd make half the things I do without them. My first quilt was a lap quilt for me, by hand, took me 20 years. Smallest - hm - 12x12"? Something like that. The largest I think was a queen, but maybe it was a king...it sure felt like a king...stay cool today, it's going to get hot!~