Monday, February 28, 2011

Time Flies By...

Can you believe it, tomorrow will be March 1.   I got a lot accomplished this month.  But I owe it all to the Blogs I follow.  You have all inspired me to get more done and try new things.  I don't think I would have done half as much.  So a BIG THANK YOU to all of you.

When my husband Terry and I took off for a few days we stopped off at Country Stitches.  I already told you that but I forgot to say that I picked up an older BOM kit.  It came with the pattern and fabric to make this 14" block.  (It was $3.00 on clearance)  It is a Bears Paw block but definitely not the traditional one.  I am thinking of making it the center of a Medallion Quilt. 

I worked on my Thread Head Quilt-a-Long.  I have to make extra blocks since Joanne's blocks are larger than my 6" blocks.  I won't show you the blocks yet since I have to cut more sashing and border pieces.

I know some of you have heard of the new Frixtion Roller Jel Pen.  When used on fabric the lines will disappear when ironed or steamed.  I have used it to mark quilting designs on small quilts, to trace applique pieces and for embroidery.  The only problem I had was when used on hand dyed or Batiks it removed the color and left a thin white line.  So I would suggest testing it out on a scrap of the fabric you will be using.  The photo shown here is an applique block that I marked out the placement of the pieces.   Note, I am not a spokesperson for the product but I am a very satisfied customer. 

While watching the Oscars last night I worked on Sunflower
Quilt #1.  I used a Scrapbooking template for the center of the sunflower.  It is a turtle shell swirl and I marked it with the frixtion pen.  Look close and you can see the swirl pattern.  I used steam from my iron on it and Waa Laa.....

The markings disappeared.
I just love this pen.
     

So lets revisit my To-Do list from last week:
  1. Finish small wall quilt. ( Done and hanging on the wall as we speak.)
  2. Sandwich Sunflower Quilt #2.  (Hopefully I will get it done during the month of March)
  3. Make 10 more Log Cabin Bow Tie Blocks.  (I only got 4 more made)
  4. Make more Thread Head Quilt-a-Long blocks.
  5. Keep current with Barbara Brackman Civil War Blocks.
Besides the above, I started hand quilting Sunflower Quilt #1, started hand appliqueing Granny's Hankies BOM #1 and finished a couple of Christmas gifts.

Not sure what my To-Do list for this week will be.  I just need to keep current with BOM, cut the sashing and border pieces for my Thread Head Quilt-a-Long, and make more Log Cabin Bow Tie Blocks. 

So I plan on keeping real busy.  How about you?  I wish you a quilty day.

Hugs, Cat

5 comments:

Diana and LaDonna said...

Good job on the hand quilting!

I have a hard enough time with a to-do list for the day, much less a week...kudos to you!

Today I have a big pot of soup on the stove that will make the house smell yummy all day while I continue quilting on the pink quilt!

LaDonna

Yvette said...

I love your Sunflower block, that quilt will be great!

The first block would be great as a medallion quilt, I say to go for it.

Mama Pea said...

I know what you mean. Blogging has given me more accountability, too. I am getting far more done because of that and due to all the inspiration out there. Good going on your projects!

Allie said...

I LOVE that bear paw block - wow. I've never heard of that pen, I'll have to look for it! Good to know to test the fabric first. Your sunflower is so darling, one of my favorite flowers. I don't really have a to-do list this week - well, I do, but only one thing on it, lol!

Val said...

I love seeing all of your projects. I love hearing about the pen. I will have to try that. And I also agree with you that the inspiration that comes from others on blogs is my motivation.