Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Can Breathe

I'm feeling much better.  I can actually breathe through my nose now.  And my congestion has cleared up.  I guess that Pneumonia shot I got a few years ago helped.

I was reading Pat Sloan's blog this morning and she was asking if we are ready for spring.  I sure am.  Although I must admit the winters here are easier that the winters up north.  In the Upper Peninsula we would get 12"  - 18" of snow at one time.  One year we had over 150" of snow for the season.  My shoulders still hurt from shoveling and using the industrial strength snow blower my dad had.   I love winter but I couldn't wait for spring.  My favorite part of spring was the early flowers.  Trillium is my favorite. 

It comes out while there is still snow on the ground and it hides out under the trees.  I would love driving down country roads and see the trillium spilling out all over.  I tried to bring some down here once...it only came up once.  I think it was a real treat for the squirrels.  They ate the whole thing.





I did get some sewing done the last couple of days....


I finished one of the mug rugs for the swap on Quilting Gallery.   I machine quilted around the design and then an overall diagonal quilting.  I still have to make another one to make.  Want this one to be different.




I made another pieced border for my RRCB.  One more to go.  Can't wait to finish this baby.  It has taken up a lot of my time but has been well worth it.







As you know I have also been working on blocks for a Civil War Quilt designed by Thread Head.  I am a bit behind everyone else.  I started working on Block #3 yesterday.  Now the original blocks were 9".  I decided to do mine at 6".  So naturally I had to redraft them.  The first 2 blocks went really well.  But when it cam to doing the pinwheel center of this block I was stymied.  I drew it up on EQ5 and printed out the templates for a 6" block.  I did a sample first and it didn't work out.  Then I got an idea.  I printed up paperpieced blocks for the center and it worked.


 

I think it turned out pretty good.  Today I'm going to make a second block.

It's getting close to lunch time so I'm going to heat up the last of my Cabbage Soup.  I wish you a quilty day....
                                       Hugs, Cat

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Your block is great. I agree...ready for spring, thought the winters here aren't too bad. Hang in there! So glad you are feeling better!

Allie said...

Yep, lots of snow up north. My sister-in-law used to live in a log cabin, about 20 miles outside of Marquette - she was pregnant, and went into labor during a snowstorm. Their driveway was about a mile long. The ambulance came, got stuck - the tow truck for the ambulance got stuck - the tow truck for the tow truck got stuck, and she ended up snowshoeing out, in labor. I think she spent the rest of the winter in an apartment in Marquette!

Your block is great and so is your border - wow - and great job on getting that block re-sized, it looks perfect! Glad you're feeling better!

Kim said...

I have this pretty Trillium growing under my trees, too and did not know what it was called until I saw it here! If only the snow would just stop coming so they can grow again...sigh. I like your pretty yellow mug rug. :-D